Please see a message below from our friends at the Citizen’s Climate Lobby of Charleston West Virginia.
Dear Friend of WV CAG,
The Citizens’ Climate Lobby of Charleston West Virginia is a dedicated group of activists. We educate ourselves on climate policies; we outreach to the public through an open monthly meeting, tabling, and publishing letters and op-eds; and we lobby our members of Congress three times a year. We knew this would be hard work, and we knew it wouldn’t be accomplished quickly.
Could you help us by making a phone call? We have been told by our Congressional members and staffers that “they never hear from West Virginians about the climate!” Here are some suggestions for Spring 2016:
- Call Evan Jenkins office in Huntington (304-325-5800) and thank him for sponsoring the RECLAIM Act of 2016. This Act is a lot like the Power Plus Plan that would use Abandoned Mine Lands funds to train and employ miners to repair the land and streams.
- Call Senator Capito’s office in Charleston (304-347-3652) and ask the Senator to support policies to move us to green energy. The CCL proposal is for a carbon fee and household dividend that would spur growth toward green energy. You can ask her to support fee and dividend or just explain what most concerns youabout the climate and ask her to provide the leadership West Virginians need for a sustainable energy system.
- Call Alex Mooney’s Charleston office (304-925-5964) and express your concerns about the climate. The RECLAIM Act of 2016 is in his sub-committee, so you can ask him to support the Act and consider signing on as a sponsor.
- Here is a 2-minute video about carbon fee and dividend, widely called for by economists and conservatives.
- Here is a summary of the RECLAIM Act: HB 4456
Thank you for taking the time to contact our Congressional members about climate change and making your voice heard!
Additionally, I wanted to let you know there are chapters starting up in Huntington, Parkersburg, Morgantown, and Beckley. If you are interested in working with CCL, visit the website and sign-up or email Jim Probst firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your time!
CCL-CWV Group Leader
We hope you’ll consider helping our friends at CCL-CWV by making one or more of these calls today!