The Kanawha County Commission has proposed adding a new early voting location on Charleston’s West Side and will hold a public hearing on Thursday, February 17 at 5:00 PM in the Commission Courtroom at Kanawha County Courthouse.The proposed location for this community voting site is the Girl Scouts of Black Diamond Council building at 321 Virginia Street West.
Community members and local faith leaders will gather for a press conference and rally at 4:00 PM to show support for the establishing this additional voting site.
Here’s why it’s important to Speak Up & Speak Out in support of Early Voting on the West Side:
The Kanawha County Commission, County Clerk, and Kanawha County Democratic Executive Committee have already agreed to the location, but the Republican Executive Committee is withholding its support citing cost and neutrality. Their objection could bring the idea to a halt. Under state law, all four parties must agree before a new community voting location is established, giving any one party veto power.
Regardless of the cost, you can’t put a price on voting. Early voting provides convenience and flexibility for everyone. Early voting allows people to cast their votes around their own busy schedules. Early voting also cuts down on Election Day congestion, which seems wise while in a pandemic. Early voting on the West Side, at the Diamond Girl Scout building, would improve accessibility for those with mobility issues and who need convenient parking.
Establishing this additional early voting site will benefit the entire community by providing a convenient, accessible alternative to voting early at the Voter Registration Office, located in the judicial annex of the County Courthouse.
SHOW UP, SPEAK OUT!
- Contact County Commissioners and County Clerk Vera McCormick. Let them know you support the West Side early voting location, and giving all Kanawha County voters more options and opportunities to have their voices heard.
- County Clerk Vera McCormick, 304-357-0130
- Commissioner & President Carper, 304-357-0656
- Commissioner Ben Salango, 304-357-0109
- Commissioner Lance Wheeler, 304-357-0139
- Come to the County Courthouse on Thursday, February 17 at 4:00 PM for a Press Conference and Rally.
- Spread the word! Invite and bring along family, friends, and neighbors.
- Speak at the 5:00 PM public hearing in person at the County Commission Courtroom or via Zoom. (To participate/give remarks virtually contact Jennifer Herald at (304) 357-0628 or email@example.com.)
- Sign onto our letter of support to the Commissioners.