FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 17, 2023
Public Meeting to Raise Awareness About Leaking Abandoned Gas Wells Impacting Several Areas of Charleston
WHAT: A public meeting and panel discussion will help raise awareness about the dangers of leaking abandoned gas wells negatively impacting residents served by the Elk River, including the Rutledge and Crouch Hollow Mountain areas of Charleston, West Virginia. Featured panelists will focus on legal, health, safety, and environmental issues. A question-and-answer session with the panelists will immediately follow the presentation.
WHEN & WHERE: Monday, March 20 at 6:30 p.m., The Cottage @ Northgate Business Park, 400 Patterson Lane, Charleston, West Virginia
FEATURED PANELISTS: The following panelists are anticipated to participate in the public meeting.
- Elaine Tanner, Facilitator with opening comments on “Why We Came” focusing on environmental impacts taking place in this community and the needs to move this Frontline Forward through community engagement maneuvering through a broken regulatory system.
- David Bentley, Impacted Citizen, Crouch Hollow Mountain, Community Representative presenting detailed research in health surveys and environmental findings around Rutledge Area of Charleston, WV
- Pam Garrison, Tri-chair Poor People’s Campaign address systemic racism, poverty, denial of healthcare and ecological devastation, Charleston, WV
- Momma Bears, Impacted Community Members will share their lives offering real stories about living in this toxic atmosphere while trying to raise children with unexplained illnesses.
- John H. Skaggs, Esq., Lawyer with Dr Calwell Luce diTrapano PLLC, Charleston, WV
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: The general public, citizens concerned with the environmental impact and dangers of leaking abandoned gas wells, and residents of the Rutledge and Crouch Hollow Mountain areas of Charleston.
Friends for Environmental Justice Outreach
Rutledge Area of Charleston
Elaine Tanner, Founding Director, Friends for Environmental Justice
FACEBOOK ADVOCACY PAGE:
- Rutledge Area of Charleston
- Friends For Environmental Justice
- Meeting on Livestream, follow