The House quickly passed the governor’s bad idea of eliminating one quarter of our state’s annual revenue by cutting 50% off personal income taxes over the next three years. However, Senate leadership has deemed HB 2526 DOA and, not to be outdone, they’re cooking up their own tax cuts. Regardless of how the Legislature lands on these cuts, regular West Virginians lose. Now is the time to make your voice heard on this lose-lose proposition! Also keep reading to learn more about health care bills we’re keeping an eye on, action on environmental and climate legislation, election bills that are gaining traction, and other major actions in the House and Senate. be sure to check our events calendar for opportunities for learning and action.
In addition to getting this weekly update, there are lots of resources for keeping up on the daily hijinks at the ‘Bad Idea Factory’ (as Delegate Pushkin often calls it). Here is a short list:
- Mountain State Spotlight has a daily digest of their antics. Sign up here to get it in your inbox!
- WV Public Broadcasting has thankfully brought back their daily 30 minute Legislature Today simulcast to TV and radio.
- WVPB veterans Giles Snyder and Dave Mistich, who now work at NPR, are providing coverage of the legislative session via 60 Days.
- WV MetroNews has excellent and timely coverage.
- The Charleston Gazette-Mail has a paywall, so consider an online subscription (first month free). Mike Tony’s and Phil Kabler’s articles alone are worth the cost.
- Black by God is a community-led news organization based in West Virginia focusing on Black issues and voices, and holding government accountable to the people. Check out the BBG Citizen’s Guide to Online Advocacy here.
- The WV Legislature’s website is a great resource for live audio and video of the action and tracking bills of interest.
- Search for @wvsenate and @wvhouse on www.twitter.com for minute by minute updates on floor sessions and announcements of committee meetings.
- Our friends at the WV Environmental Council, WV Center on Budget and Policy, WV Rivers Coalition, WV FREE, ACLU of WV and WV NOW all are watching different parts of the elephant(s) in the room along with other partners and allies.
And speaking of resources, remember, Citizen Action depends on YOU!
You are the Action in Citizen Action! As you read this update, please take some time to reach out to lawmakers on the issues that resonate with you. Democracy is more than just voting every election. Even if our preferred candidates didn’t win, we must engage with those who did to make our voices heard. Even if our lawmakers often make choices we disagree with, they still need to hear other perspectives and positions. Thank you for being an active citizen and sharing your thoughts, expertise and solutions to problems and challenges facing our state. One other way you can be active is with a supporting membership to WV Citizen Action. Please keep those renewals and new memberships coming in! Thanks, again, for your support.